This award winning sustainability project used 100% re-cycled aluminium billet in the production of aluminium Sapa 55 and 75 casement windows. Hazlemere Commercial designed, manufactured and installed all the aluminium curtain wall, aluminium windows and commercial entrance doors for main contractors Morgan Sindall Group plc in conjunction with both the architect and Sapa Building Systems. There was a huge effort made in the facade engineering to incorporate the Stow render panels to achieve the spans required, while giving the appearance of a seamless joint.
The new college includes a 70m aluminium sloping curtain wall double glazed roof light. All the curtain walling, windows and doors were fabricated by Hazlemere Commercial in their High Wycombe factory located on Cressex Business Park, before being installed by their own expert installers, on time and on budget.
The construction of a new purpose built college was undertaken as part of the Governments ‘Building Schools for the Future’ programme, with the emphasis on using sustainable environmentally friendly, energy saving products, such as the double glazed aluminium frames that can be 100% recycled. This new build scheme won a RIBA Award in 2011. Find out more about this sustainability project on the Sapa Building Systems website.
- Project – Bideford College
- Location – Abbotsham Road, Bideford, Devon, EX39 3AR
- Building Use – Educational College
- Client – Morgan Sindall (Devon County Council)
- Products Used – Sapa Elegance 52 Aluminium Curtain Walling, Sapa 75 Dualframe Aluminium Casement Windows, Sapa 55 Dualframe Aluminium Casement Windows, Sapa Commercial Aluminium Entrance Doors
- Value – £2,400,000 + VAT